Right now (well, not right now when you’re reading this, or even when I post it), I’m at 34,000 feet flying over Kansas. I’m about 3 hours into my flight from JFK to Los Angeles. I’ve watched 3 episodes of Criminal Minds, charged my phone some using the conveniently located outlets on this lovely Airbus plane, tracked the flight’s progress on the little touchscreen and worried about my connecting flight.
Mostly, though, I’m sitting in an airplane seat, where I have a lot of time to think, which I’m trying very hard not to do. Thinking is one of my special skills and I’ve been known to think things into larger-than-life creatures. And this semester doesn’t need me to transform it into a formidable beast.
I don’t know what’s waiting for me in Australia. I mean, I know that first is my program’s orientation in Melbourne, then a morning flight to Sydney, and so on. But I don’t know anyone on my program and the one person I know at the university where I’ll be studying is a friend of a friend. This feels like a total leap, and I’m not one to take blind jumps like this.
Somehow, though, I’ve made it past the point where it’s easy to turn back. I’m already on my way to Australia, and to whatever is waiting there.
Thanks for joining me on this journey, even if you’re only coming with me via the internet. It’s going to be an awfully big adventure.
Emily
No comments:
Post a Comment